Friday, October 07, 2005

Check mate or Check, Mate?

Victory is mine, and it is really really good....

At approximately 9:37 PM on this past Monday, after two and a half hours of combat on the checkered battlefield, I was finally able to utter those game ending words that had been over two weeks in the making.

After being the recipient of hundreds of smug, yet somehow caring, "Check...and, mate" statements made by my South African opponent, it felt good to be able to deliver the phrase myself. This phenomenon has yet to repeat itself though, as we have played many times since Monday with each match ending in the same dialog that had marked the previous two weeks. This post-defeat exchange usually involves me making various noises of frustration which are then followed by Robert's assurance that I am playing better or an exhortation to "protect my pieces".

I am really thankful for mine and Robert's chess matches. Well, that is, in spite of the sleepless nights developing strategy and the detrimental effect that constant failure has had on my self-esteem. Okay, that is a bit of a strech but I am sad to report that I actually have spent multiple nights dreaming about chess. One night I had a dream about a fantastic opening move involving my rooks. But then I forgot.....why is it always the good dreams that you forget?

Our routine of morning matches and after-supper showdowns really has been very good and I am hoping that our friendship will begin to develop outside the chess board.

After weeks of talking, it became official today that Michael will be moving on from the Anton St. house to more private accomodations. In light of the fact that he won't begin recieving his pension until he has turned 60, I actually didn't expect his move to come so soon. Michael will be living in a hostel type setting operated by a local homelessness orgainization (please do not mistake this for the word "Hostile" meaning marked by malevolence). He will have his own room and I believe there are shared common areas like a kitchen and perhaps a living room. While I am excited for Michael, we as a house, (and me as me for that matter) have some reservations about the suitableness of the accomodations. Despite Michael's desire to move away from the community type living that is practiced at Anton St., I think that his time here has been very beneficial for him socially. Although he still does not like groups of people and has a tendancy to isolate himself, house members have noted the immense progress that he has made in his 4 or 5 months in the community. As I had written in a previous post, he does not actually seem too awkward around people or groups, but it is evident that those traits are part of his personality. I am hoping that the progress that he has made in his time here will not be affected by the fact that he will now be able to choose if he wants to see people or not. Please keep Michael in your prayers as he makes this transition.

I am becoming more integrated into the community and have finally reached the point where I am begining to feel comfortable and am able to remember people's names. The name rememberance thing is not a strongpoint of mine and is a big, big milestone. I do not feel as if I have been too incredibly busy since my arrival here, but have been getting involved with doing street outreach, working shifts at the Simon House, and working with some of our outreach services. Truthfully, I have been spending a good amount of time in and around the Anton St. house trying to develop relationships here and getting a feel for how the house does and could run.

The next few weeks will be bringing a lot of change to our house with Michael and Bruce's departures, as well now, as the departure of Steve who is moving to fill an empty bed at the Simon House. It is perhaps this shake up that will allow us to do some restructuring and make room for more residents and, potentially, more workers in the house.

Many apologies for the long time between postings, I had actually been trying to post since my victorious Monday evening but had twice lost the entire post. That can be a quite frustrating thing. Hopefully we will speak soon, but until then, I will sign off with my favorite salutation that I have seen in the UK since the implementation of "Cheers" into my vocabulary.

Afters, Chris

3 Comments:

Blogger sylvia said...

wow. that is quite the comment spam! thought i'd put a real comment in and say that i'm glad to hear you are settling in at the house and you're not working too hard. :) happy weekend.

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sully, remind me never to play chess with you... or at least not to play for dosh. Later dude :)

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris it's so good to hear that you are doing well. I'm sure it's amazing over there and you are ajusting well. Just remember to always keep your focus on Jesus and you can't go wrong. Love ya and you are always in my prayers.

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home