Thursday, November 17, 2005

Talking in Metaphors and Cliches

I hate small talk.

I always feel like I am being a fake when I shoot the bull with people. I know that it is a necessary evil (ahhhh, there you go...cliche) but when I meet people while I am out doing streetwork it seems like I always end up responding to their epic (or not so epic, really) tales with cliche, banal commentary, engaging in metaphorical exchange whereby we talk of crossing thin lines and going cold turkey, or fueling the discussion of delusional manifestos.

What to do, what to do? People need to talk. People need to be listened to....for real listened to. People need to listen. I guess we have two ears and one mouth for a reason.....oh, how cliche.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For real dude. Take this as necessary training; you'll have a lot of these with the people in your circles in the future too. Just remember to keep the heart real.

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds pretty tough. You can always come back to NH. I need a youth pastor who doesn't want to be paid for the job.

Bob Ritchie

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home